Saturday, December 9, 2017

SKIRTING THE ISSUE, PART 2

     One of the ways we show our identity is through the use of clothing. We define our own fashion to fit our individual personalities. The problem is, if we fail to dress like the mainstream society thinks we should dress then we get negatively looked upon. Will how we dress really affect how we perform our jobs?
     When was the last time you saw a gothic individual running a board meeting in any company? Most of the time if these individuals are seen at all in a business it will most likely not be in an office building where the attire is socially set and set by the policies of the company. A few years back a directive from a place that I worked stated that we were no longer able to wear black on both the top and bottom at the same time. Black pants required a different color shirt and if you wore a black shirt a different color of pants was required. This would prevent our clients from being uneasy with us.
While being goth in the business world is not acceptable it is even less acceptable to be, dare I say, a “crossdresser”. I am not saying that I really want to slip into a long gown for the next formal event I go to, or that I desire to march down the isle in a beautiful wedding dress. Though I might be able to pull it off if society’s thinking was different. Actually, no even I have my limits. I would not be able to get that fit just right, even if I worked out and beefed up my chest. Seriously, there is a limit to even where I would define women’s wear and men’s wear.
     I would like to see men be allowed by societal standards to wear a skirt. Nothing more. Some men have tried to bring this to mainstream society but have failed. Other cultures allow for skirt/dress like garments to be worn so why can’t we bring this to the United States? Could a man ever feel safe walking down the street in a skirt? It can happen but it is going to take a fundamental change in societies thinking.

     
Stick around for part 3 and I will explain why it makes sense to change our ways and if men could just get over this stigma of being different then things would change and different would become the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment