Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Birth Of A New Hobby

     Growing up in among the rolling bluffs in southeastern Minnesota, I never considered that sewing and the craft world could be of any interest. Now here I am, nearly forty years later and I am looking in the face of a new hobby. This is the literally the birth of a new hobby. I am starting out with nothing, except for a few ideas as to where I want to be heading as my hobby grows and takes shape.

     Just like a baby when it is born, my hobby to starts with nothing. As of right now I do not even own a single needle or spool of thread, and there is no material or even a pattern. I will be learning as I go as to what I need, though I have already done a bit of research and have amassed a wealth of knowledge from YouTube tutorials that I have spent the last month or so watching.  My first task is to go out and purchase a set of sewing needles and some thread so that I can start to create my first project.

     I am building my sewing kit from a list that I found in the "Sewing for Dummies" book, by Jan Saunders Maresh. Her suggestion was to have the following things in a basic sewing kit:

  • Tape measure
  • Seam guage
  • Shears
  • Trimming scissors
  • Fabric markers
  • Pins 
  • Needles
  • Thimbles
  • Seam ripper.
In the book she also listed sewing machine needles, which I have decided to not purchase. I will purchase these when I move to the sewing machine and feel that this is not critical in a basic sewing kit. What I have added is some thread basic colors will do for now.

     In the interest of saving some money which I can eventually invest into projects, I have decided to utilize some of the supplies that my wife already has. This will get me started with everything that I need to start with. The photograph that I have taken is just a sampling of the things that I have to use from my wife's sewing room. Now to practice a few stitches and finding my first project.


No comments:

Post a Comment