Monday, January 16, 2017

Recycle and Reuse. That's What I'm About...most of the time.

     I don't believe that you have to run to the store every time you need a new outfit. The only place to go is your closet. I'm sure that there is plenty items that have been worn once and you'll never wear them again. There are also things there that you love but they are getting a little worn out. Believe it or not with just a touch of creativity you can get them new life and a new purpose.

     If you haven't already noticed, I like to reuse and recycle. I started out by making the sewing ham where I combined some new with a lot of old recycled t-shirts. You can not see the t-shirts because they are what I used to stuff the ham. I also had a couple of queen size sheets laying around. I used them for backdrops when I was doing photography 20+ years ago. I have just kept moving them with me every time I moved. Finally I have come up with something to use them for. I made the circle skirt and the wrap skirt out of these sheets.

     I have done some research and found that I could bring new life to old jeans. there are a few things that you could do with them. First of all they would make a great pair of shorts. They could be just cut off shorts with no hem on the legs or you could take a little extra time to hem them just to give them a little more of a finished off look.

     Your old jeans could also take the shape of a cute jean skirt. The length of the skirt dictated by taste and though a little more imagination must go into creating the skirt it is a realistic project to accomplish. Am working on creating a jean skirt an will hope to complete it fairly soon. I will be working to keep on track of these sewing projects even with my heavy work with my job and in my college classes. The nice thing about the jeans project is that it does not have to be limited to jeans. You can find any old pair of pants that you want and create a new skirt or what ever your imagination can come up with.

     Some of the projects that are on my short list to accomplish are:

  • I need to finish the jean shorts/skirt project.
  • I want to start exploring sewing men's clothing, pants and shirts.
  • I will be creating a couple more skirt projects. Still need a midi and maxi that I am still looking for the perfect fabric.
  • After all of that it is hopefully onto a full length dress. 
These should be enough to keep me busy for awhile and I should be able to increase my sewing skills. I am still a novice at this sewing business. One day I will be able to create anything that I want but until then I will keep taking these baby steps. Have the most wonderful week and I will see you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment