Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Art of Re-purposing! Stuffed Ham Anyone?

 Weeks are so short and before you know it Sunday evening has arrived and the blog has not been updated. Needless to say, that after a busy week I am getting ready to fill you in on my sewing week.

     The pork chops are in the oven and there is a stuffed ham sitting on my sewing table. OK, what I really have is a stuffed tailors ham. Several weeks ago I had watched a YouTube video done be Lori Griffiths. about making a tailors ham. I thought, wow this could be a fairly easy project to do. So I watched a few more videos and before you know it my tailors ham was born. I did not follow her pattern 100%, but in the end it worked out well.
     I used the material that I have been using for the last couple of weeks, since I did by it for practicing with and that is exactly what these projects are. The nice thing about it is that these projects are turning out to be rather good.
     I tightly packed the ham with old t-shirts that. I re-purposed to use as the stuffing.These were old and well worn t-shirts that I had left over from my days in the navy. I cut the shirts up into small strips and random pieces of various sizes. This way I could pack a lot in there and get every space filled. When all was said and done I managed to stuff 6 old t-shirts into the ham.

     I did manage to save the pictures off of some of the shirts. This I figured could be incorporated into a future project, but I am not sure what that will be at this time.

     Yesterday I went out to the store and purchased another kind of fabric that for the time being I will be keeping it a secret. With the help of my wife we found the perfect fabric for this next project.
     What I will be making is a zippered pouch. Similar to that one that I have already created but slightly bigger and zipper will be inserted. I am really excited to try my hand with zippers and yet a little apprehensive at the same time. I think that zippers are one of those things that you either love or hate them.

     I am not sure how far along with this weeks project I will actually get. I have a jam packed week. I will be working my normal 50 hours at my paid job, I am working on my project management certification for school  and packing/preparing for a week long trip that I will be taking.
     Several of us officers will be taking our cadets from two of the local US Naval Sea Cadet divisions to Parris Island in South Carolina. The cadets will be training with the Marines when they are there. That means I am not sure how many projects I can do over the next couple of weeks. One thing that I do want to make a point of doing is still getting my blog postings in. The postings might not be about projects but could be of how things are going while on my trip. We will have to just see how it goes.

If you like what you are seeing here and want to make sure that you do not miss anything new, please follow this blog. Until next time have a wonderful week and keep pushing on and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment